Monday, January 21, 2013

A New Companion!


Dear Family,
 
Hola! There isn't much time but I'll give you a brief synopsis of the week, and it's been incredible. I feel so much love from my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I think one of the reasons is because I started this transfer out right--with evaluating myself and focusing on one Christlike attribute I want to improve on: humility. And, Sister Laalaai and myself set transfer goals together. I've never done that before with previous companions, and it really makes a difference when you do. I'm converted to writing down goals!


(This was a super windy day)

 
My new companion is awesome! Her name is Sister Laalaai, and she is from Western Samoa. This is her first time in the States, and she's been on her mission for a year. We are both co-senior, and we are just loving our time together. We laugh all the time, share our deepest desires, and the Lord is revealing to us how to help our investigators daily. She is so chill, and her aura is amazing for my personality. It's like I'm back in New Zealand with the Maori people again. I love the polynesian culture, they are so special. It's weird without Sister Bowen here, but the Lord is helping us to find our way around San B and He is helping me to remember how to do things! YAY!!! Sister Bowen left a great legacy, and I hope that we can build the ward trust so we can carry on her legacy.
 
The ward is still so wonderful, and I think as we helped some of our primary presidency with their visits this week, we gained more trust. And we found out some more women who could come with us to teach! It's been such a blessing to have members with us in lessons, or even if they fall through, just to get to know them better, and for them to get to know us better. I'm still getting to know people. It was so funny, this Sunday 2 older gentlemen in the ward asked if I was a new missionary. We just hadn't met in the past 6 weeks, ha ha. Brother Moody is being so helpful, and we got to know him even better. He is so funny, and reminds me a lot of you, Dad. And yes, I tease him a lot, and like to punch his arm, especially when he brings up his wife's past beaus and teases her. Sound familiar, daddy? :D
 
We had some incredible miracles. 

One was on Friday with Austin, our new investigator from last week. We read 3 Nephi 11 together, and he took wonderful notes and asked amazing questions. He truly wants to know about our Church and if it is true. His main concern right now is that all his friends go to another Christian church, so we are going to get some priests over for our next lesson. Got to get them ready for missions yo. Austin accepted a baptism date for February 16th, and he seems really excited. He is reading the Book of Mormon and wants to learn more about the priesthood. It'll be a good lesson on Friday.

(Worn out from tracting)
 

We met some potentials this week, while tracting, which is a miracle in itself, and though we have sore feet, our hearts are happy to be doing the Lord's work. 

Amy is still feeling the spirit and really wants to know for herself. She's asking the Lord about Joseph Smith, and I think she's getting answers. We weren't able to meet with her this week, but we saw her briefly after church, and she's doing well. 

Valerie is probably going to have to wait a while to be baptized. Her mom is just not having it anymore, and Pat wants us only to go through him with church things. She's been really pressured by her mom to do extra homework and stuff, so we are just going to teach her and invite her to mutual, but not bring up baptism until she is ready. It's going to have to come from her. She is so desirous to be baptized, and we saw that this Saturday, but the time may not be right. 

Marcus came to church on Sunday, and participated and loved the priesthood class! We are hopefully going to have a lesson with him on Wednesday. So far we've shared scriptures with him and listened to him. His son Caden's death has hit his wife and him really hard. He still acknowledges God in all  things, and he is reading the Book of Mormon. I am really impressed with him. 

Braden Soper went to mutual (they went to a hockey game) and of course loved it! He doesn't know if he will keep going to mutual, but they may try church sometime. No word yet from the father, but we are praying that one day we can teach him. 

And last, Desiree had her baby, and Isaiah is doing well. He keeps mommy up a lot, and she is recovering still from her c-section, but is still very happy and interested in the church. We offered her a meal and she was so grateful for that. The ward just jumped on it too. This ward is amazing!
 
Jody has been busy helping her aunt, who's having a lot of hallucinations, but she seems happy and is feeling more guidance in her life after recieving the Holy Ghost.

(Sister Laalaai and I with Wysdom at her baptism) 

And, we were so blessed this Sunday to go to a baptism for a woman Sister Stacey and I taught a few times, Wysdom. It was wonderful to see her enter the waters of baptism and take upon herself covenants that will lead her back to her Heavenly Father. The spirit was really strong at that service.
 
Well, I have to go, but know I love you all and pray for you daily. And yes Mom, I would love some quotes each email, I love quotes :) Thanks!
 
*Part of my letter to President:
 
Some of the miracles this week include those just for me, and others with the work. I'll share one miracle just about me. I've started a routine in the bathroom where I tell myself out loud that I am a daughter of God, repeated 3 times (my favorite number). This has brought more power and love for myself than anything else, including other's compliments of me. I was feeling great this week and wondering when the bad times were going to hit and how I would react. Well, Friday brought some news that could have really blown my self esteem and tempted me to be really depressed, but as I got the news, I kept repeating to myself "I am a daughter of God" and I literally felt love envelop me. I'm starting to realize that it doesn't matter what others think of me, what matters is what God thinks of me, and I'm going to admit, He thinks I'm pretty great. Now, I know that I have a long way to go to be the woman he expects of me, but He's pleased with my efforts thus far. That was a miracle to feel that love.
 
One miracle that happened this week in regards to the work was while we were tracting Saturday. We tried a potential and they weren't home, and though it wasn't in our plans, we just tracted the whole street the potential was on. Most doors yeilded nothing, but when we got to the last house on the corner, the man washing his car greeted us with a nice smile. As we got to talking he told us he was agnostic but his wife was Christian and would probably be interested in our message. Then he said that she doesn't live there, as they are going through a divorce. We thought that our conversation was over, but then this man, David, surprised us by saying, "I love history, so if you want to teach me about the history, I'll listen to you." We jumped on that quick, and set up a return appointment. It's amazing how as we got to know him and share our testimonies with him and our interests, he opened up to us. I know the spirit was guiding him and that we were led to him. Miracles are everywhere!
350 baptisms (our mission goal for baptisms by July)
 
Love,
Sister Allison MIlls

No comments:

Post a Comment